|Day 1 || |
- Tour Commences 12.45pm in Greymouth
- You will be met by Kea Tours on arrival at the Greymouth Railway Station and begin your tour with an afternoon journey along the famed 'Coastal Highway' of both Maori and European to Punakaiki and the Pancake Rocks.
| ||Stay overnight in Punakaiki (Includes Bed and Breakfast) |
|Day 2 || |
- Pick up from accommodation and travel to Greymouth where we discover the story of the origins of pounamu (greenstone) at a local Jade Gallery.
- South to the Arahura Rr, source of much of the pounamu, where our Maori guide explains the spiritual and economic importance of pounamu and the river. Afterwards, we stop to admire jade carvers at work in Hokitika.
- This afternoon, walk part of the ancient Maori coastal trail, with spectacular views of coast, forest and mountain scenery.
- Hear the legend of Hukatere and the creation of the Franz Josef Glacier as we take a short walk to a brilliant lookout over the whole valley. A short drive takes us to our accommodation for the evening.
| ||Stay overnight in Glacier Country (Includes Bed and Breakfast) |
|Day 3 || |
- This morning we’ll take you on a guided exploration of the valley of this world-renowned glacier, Te Moeka O Tuawe, (The Bed of Tuawe), the Fox Glacier.
- OPTIONAL UPGRADE to a thrilling Heli-hike is available to the more adventurous. (Additional Cost)
- Afterwards we travel south to encounter the spiritual home of Makaawhio Maori tribe at Bruce Bay.
- Visit Ship Creek and the coastal dunes walk and plunge in to the Realm of Tane, God of the Forest. We'll even learn the story of how he lost his eyebrows in a dispute with his brother Tangaroa, God of the Sea
| ||Stay overnight in Haast (Includes Bed and Breakfast) |
|Day 4 || |
- After leaving Haast we travel inland to Tiori Patea (Haast Pass) exploring as we go, following the old Maori trail down the Makarora Valley.
- A walk to the brilliant Blue Pools connects us to the old Maori trails through the Te Wahi Pounamu World Heritage Area.
- From the top of Mt Iron we get superb views of Lake Wanaka, the township, Mt Aspiring National Park and the ancient trails of the Clutha and Cardrona Valleys.
- Over the Crown Range to Queenstown and beautiful Lake Wakatipu, where we finish our journey with the Maori legend of the lake, a fascinating account that blends geography with mythology.
- The tour finishes in Queenstown approximately 1800
- OPTIONAL EXTRA Why not see the Kiwi Haka show in Queenstown? (Additional cost)
Tour commences Greymouth Railway Station 1245 hours
Tour finishes Queenstown accommodation 1800 hours
TOURS RUN ON DEMAND
please email for availability - email@example.com
- This tour is NZD $1,995.00 per person inclusive of GST (see Terms and Conditions re minimum number of passengers and optional extras listed below)
- TranzAlpine train to Greymouth from Christchurch $198 per person one way (Dep. Christchurch 8.00am Arr. Greymouth 12.45pm
- Shuttle bus, Christchurch to Greymouth Dep. 7.30am Arr. Greymouth 11.30am $50 per person one way.
- Hotel/Motel accommodation, Greymouth (before tour start). Bed and Breakfast, Twinshare. $155 per person per night
- Hotel/Motel accommodation, Queenstown (after tour end). Bed and Breakfast, Twinshare. $155 per person per night
- Single supplement accommodation option (own room with ensuite facilities and breakfast) additional $115 per person per night.
- Kiwi Haka show at Skyline Restaurant, Queenstown. Includes Gondola, show and meal.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- Child Policy: Trips not suitable for small children
- Minimum Numbers: This tour requires a minimum of 2 adult fares to operate. In cases where a single passenger is the only booking taken for this tour, that booking will be waitlisted until another booking is taken. Should the passenger wish to go on the tour regardless a single supplement equivalent to min. 2 adult fares will apply.
- Pickups and Dropoffs: All tours depart from Greymouth with complimentary pick up and drop off at all local accommodation places and Railway/Bus station and Information Centre.
- Prices: Prices given include GST and are in NZ$
- Itinerary: Kea Tours reserve the right to alter/amend or cancel the itinerary if track or weather conditions make part or all of a days planned activities unsafe. In addition, Kea Tours will not be liable for changes to the itinerary resulting from closure of tracks or facilities. No refund will be given in such circumstances.
- Accommodation: All accommodation is sold on a Twin share/Double basis unless a single supplement has been requested and paid for. Accommodation is subject to availability at time of booking.
- Weather & Fitness: As the walking activities take place in an outdoor environment subject to occasional extremes of weather, clients must have adequate levels of physical fitness and have appropriate wet weather gear. See our recommendations under 'Other Information'.
- Credit Card: Payments being made directly to Kea Tours will only be accepted using Visa or Mastercard. These can be made using our secure page on our website at www.keatours.co.nz
- Disability/Medical: Clients must advise Kea Tours of any disability or condition that may impact on their or the groups ability to complete or enjoy the planned itinerary.
- Right of Refusal: Kea Tours reserve the right to refuse any booking or remove any client from a tour where, in the opinion of the Kea Tours guide, that client's behaviour or fitness jeopardises the safety and enjoyment of other tour participants. Refunds in such circumstances are at the discretion of Kea Tours.
- Inclusions: 3 nights Twn/Dble accommodation; breakfast; all transport in air-conditioned, PA equipped vehicles; Licensed Dept. of Conservation guiding services on tracks; guided glacier valley walk; full commentary from knowledgeable, local guide; specialist guiding services where appropriate; optional activity booking service; complimentary pick-up and drop off to accommodation; walks in 3 National Parks; GST.
- Insurance: Clients are strongly advised to take out the necessary travel insurance to guard against the unexpected.
- Confirmation: Once your booking is confirmed you will receive a confirmation email detailing your booking. The full amount of payment will be debited from your Credit Card at time of confirmation.
- Weather expectations: The West Coast of the South Island is a high rainfall environment. Clients must be prepared for such conditions during the tour. . Daytime, summer temperatures range from 10 - 24º C.
- Fitness levels: Clients who wish to maximise enjoyment of all tracks need to be capable of walking approx. 10kms (6 miles) in 4 hours, carrying personal wet-weather gear and snack food.
- Personal gear: Quality raincoats, solid hiking boots (Trainers/sneakers are not adequate), day pack (for carrying wet-weather gear and personal snack food) hat and gloves (optional).
- Gear available for hire (must be ordered at time of booking.):
- Quality raincoats
- Day pack
- Hiking/Walking sticks
- Alternative Programme: In many (but not all) cases, shorter less strenuous walks or other activities can be undertaken by spouses or partners whose abilities limit their capacity to complete the planned walks. Alternatively, they can relax at the vehicle or nearby venues during such times.
- Safety: A Safety Briefing and details of all itinerary walks (distances, times, track conditions, level of fitness required, hazards etc) will be provided to the group prior to commencement of any walk.
Te Ara Pounamu Cancellation Policy:
- Upon confirmation of booking the full amount of payment will be debited from your credit card.
- Cancellations with more than 60 days until date of travel will receive a 100% refund.
- Cancellations between 30 and 60 days until date of travel will receive a 50% refund.
- Cancellations made with less than 30 days until date of travel will receive no refund.
- Clients are strongly advised to take out the necessary travel insurance to guard against the unexpected.